Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Inviting God Into Your Split Seconds



My temper has always been a little short. It's one of the things Channelle (my mom) says I get from Michael (my dad). Trouble is, this temper of mine has gotten me in several adverse situations over the course of my life. I can't tell you how many times I've done something in a fit of rage and had to go back and apologize for it later. And if I had a nickel for every time I've done what ol' girl is doing in the picture above (followed by throwing my phone across the room), I'd be filthy rich!

Anyway, God has been calling me to work on this for a long time now. He started to show me how every time I have one of these:



I get closer and closer to landing myself in front of one of these:



and consequently in one of these:



More importantly, The Bible says

"Don't be hasty in your spirit to be angry, for anger rests in the bosom of fools". Ecclesiastes 7:9

If God is Love and Love is slow to anger, then God and Anger cannot BOTH rest in one place at the same time.
The Bible also says

"Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God has God living inside, and that person lives in God". 1 John 4:15

If that's the case, then every time I allow anger to take over, I'm essentially giving God the boot....and that's just not ok with me. I started praying about how and where to start this journey of self-improvement.
That's when heard a family member talk about making split second decisions and how if we could just learn to give God our split seconds...we wouldn't find ourselves in a lot of the situations we get in. It was like an epiphany!



I don't think she really knew just how profound what she said really was, but it resonated in my spirit immediately. Think about it....How many times have your explanations for regretted behavior started with the phrase "It all happened so fast..." Did it really happen fast or is it just that you didn't invite God into the situation with the few seconds you had? For me, it's usually the latter.

If we can master inviting God into that split second, you know....right before you proceed to tear someone a new one, then the anger you feel will have to be transient....since God and Anger can not both REST in the same place. So, 2009, for me is about inviting God into those split seconds. This is gon be an interesting journey y'all...Pray for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment