Monday, March 8, 2010

The Need To Unplug...

Facebook, Twitter, Family, Friends, Church, School, Work, the past, the present, the future...at any given moment, I'm connected to one or more of these things. Hell, let's just keep it 100...at any given time, I'm connected to all these things...at the same time. It's always been this way. It's like...I'm not satisfied if I'm not plugged in to multiple outlets at once. I like to think that it's part of who I am. I don't know how true that is anymore. Looking back on it, I think that this need to stay busy is a learned behavior. If you've ever been around my mother for any extent of time, you know what I'm talking about. She never stops. She's ALWAYS on the move and always has people pulling her in several different directions. This is what I've seen my whole life. So, it's only natural that I would subconsciously live my life the same way...constantly going, constantly staying plugged in to several different things at once.
The problem with constantly leaving things plugged in is that they eventually burn out. It's the same thing with people. Nobody can handle the heat that comes along with never unplugging without burning out at some point. The problem is that it usually takes a burnout before we realize that we need a break. Burnout is bad. Once something is burned out, it's useless...and most of the time it can't be fixed. It never works as well as it did before, if it ever works again.
I'm dangerously close to that point. I'm mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually exhausted. Right now, I feel very close to useless. I need to unplug for a while here and there. So today, I didn't take any phone calls or respond to any texts...Didn't tweet, fb, or think ab the past, present, or future...I just let my mind be free...free from thought. It wasn't nearly as easy as it sounds and I even felt guilty for a minute, but it was soo necessary.
I needed this...this time to disconnect from everything...this time to reconnect with the Lord. It was a good day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment